Shades of Grey


Back in September, I bought three freshly-shorn dark grey fleeces from Ruckle Farm, down on the south end of the island. They were stored in a sack in one of my closets, and soon became a favourite napping spot for Angus the cat. I always knew when he had been in there, 'cause he smelled like a little sheep. I also knew if I left them for too long, they would become just another layer in the archeological dig that is my stash, so I needed to at least wash them.

Not the most compelling subject matter, I have to admit. And there are mountains of the stuff! Every surface in the house will soon be covered with grey fluff.

I spun a sample skein of yarn: bulky, textured, pretty. There will be a mountain of that, too. Not the best colour to work with during the winter - I will have to spike it now and then with something bright.

Comments

  1. Beautiful photos. They give me hope that I too may be able to transform some of the mountains of fleece in my house from cat-napping spots to yarn. Although I can always argue for the value of wool as insulation at this time of year, I do prefer it washed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic, starting from fleece and then spinning your own wool. It is one of those gives me the feeling of an ancient ritual, of a lost domesticity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely setting - ahh green how I miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.