Assessment Time


Mouth (2016) 26"w x 21"h, hand embroidered cotton on linen, ink
Eighty hours later and it's done. Usually at this point I am in love with the piece, and I can sit for hours staring at it, totally besotted. But this time I am confronted with the feeling of failure. I know I have an admirable replica of the original map, but I feel it's just so packed with detail that it is hard to look at. I think it is desperately needing a frame, or something to give the eye a chance to rest.

The linen is mounted over a piece of Davey board, using cord lacing to stretch it evenly, so it could be removed and I could add a fabric frame. What I would like to do is frame it with a nice wide semi-rustic wooden frame, but that will be pricey, and since I am donating the piece to a fund raising auction for the Gabriola Arts Council, I don't really want to put the money into it.

What to do? Please advise!

Comments

  1. sticks. something found in the wood pile? thrift store? i agree it could use a frame...but maybe the person who wins it will want to frame it to 'match' their own decor? with mats and behind glass?? my mom liked to have any work done up in a frame and mats.

    but as far as the map itself, it needs all those little bits. maps are busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicky, my curator friend said the same thing. I will try not to stress about it.

      Delete
    2. My mom would have the art done up by a pro. Real mats, frames, etc. Time spent deciding what colors, etc. So I figured I would do that with our marriage vows after my FIL wrote them up in calligraphy. Instead, my step-MIL had them printed up in some font I hated, and framed them in a walmart special. They gave it to us in person...boy was that hard not to throw....errr.....make a sour face....

      So even if you really think it needs framing, don't go to so much trouble that it backfires on you. BUT...you could take photos of it with different materiel's 'framing' it? Just to share/show the possible end results. I do like the birch bark idea, that sounds good.

      Delete
  2. Julia said: Barn board, birch bark

    You are a very good critic of your own work, Heather, and that is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia, I think birch bark would be awesome and carry on a theme from previous pieces.

      Delete
  3. it is just amazing, i can't go further than that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:21 AM

    lucky person who gets this piece, love the busy map, that is what they are meant to look like. Maybe just mat it for presentation purposes, the new owner may well want to choose their own frame.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always I'm in awe of your skill! And to donate it is so generous of you - the recipient had better pay Big Bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alison Garnett sent this:
    Hello from Wallingford, England. I have been following your blog for some time, and always find your work interesting. I tried to comment on your latest post, but the technology defeated me. I just wanted to say how much I love the map. Perhaps the joy of maps is in the way they can be read, which makes them different from other art. I don't know: I'm an amateur with minimal training but I could read/look at this piece for hours. Whatever frame you decide is the best, I feel a good space around it on a wall is the most important thing for the eye. A pity I live in the UK so won't be bidding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love maps......and your map is just incredibly beautiful. X

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please forgive me for using word verification. The spam robots got to me.